Check out Making the Peninsula Trim – Part 1 for the beginning of this here story.
Here’s where we left off. We had finished the rails and stiles.
Next up was laying out where they would go. This was actually kind of hard because our floors are not anywhere close to level. Since the counters are level and the floors are not level, it took a little bit of trial and error to figure out how to hide this. Are we the only ones who spend half of our renovating energy just trying to hide imperfections? Yes? No?
Anyway, we decided that we’d make the trim square to the counter, then the shoe molding around the floor could cover up the gap. It was about an inch difference in height between the wall and the end of the peninsula.
We used one of the large panels from Ikea for the back of the panel then screwed the rails and stiles in from behind.
We attached the baseboard to this too, but forgot to take a pic pre-spray paint. I’m blaming our wonderfully unlevel existing floors from the previous owners for making me forget.
So once we had the rails, stiles, and baseboards screwed onto the panel, we spray painted with Rustoleum Primer then Rustoleum Blossom White (see my previous post about white paints to match Ikea cabinets).
We spray painted and attached the corbels after painting the panel, then attached the whole panel to the cabinets by screwing through the cabinets into the panel from behind.
I would have preferred to use white shoe molding, but previous owners had used pre-finished oak all around the rest of the baseboards, so we stuck with that to be consistent.
We tried to make the molding look consistent style wise with the Ikea Lidingo doors. The router bit we used was not an exact match, but giving it some detail rather than leaving the edges square made it coordinate a lot better.
I think it really dresses up the kitchen and gives a much more custom look. It’s the first thing you see when you come through our front door.
I’m not sure I’ve ever shown our layout like this, but when you walk in the front door you can see part of our kitchen, and I really like that this part is what you see.
And by the way, see that blue clock? It’s hiding a huge ugly silver phone jack. And it was not in fact 8:35 when I took these pictures, but really I’m just too, er, lazy to change the battery. We have the stove, microwave, and hood with digital clocks. This one is purely there to hide the phone jack :). One day maybe we’ll get some art for that wall.
I found the corbels from Architectural Depot. They were a little more than I wanted to spend at about $23 a pop, but the detail was exactly what I was looking for. They are actually made from Urethane, which according to them is about the density of pine. I had to shave off about 1/8 inch from the back of the corbels to keep them from sticking out past the counters. I did this using our compound miter saw and it cut very cleanly. No picture (bad blogger). Part 1 my dad did most of the work, so I was picture snappy. This part, part 2, I did most of it myself, and I still blame my floors for making me forget pictures :)
I think the trim really makes the kitchen.
- Molding – made from scratch (see Part 1 for the details)
- Molding Paint Color – Rustoleum Blossom White
- Cabinets – Ikea Lidingo
- Corbels – Architectural Depot
Still left to do:
- Recessed lighting
- Crown molding